maandag 5 september 2011

Tord Boontje Stitched Collection

M-A stuurde me een artikeltje over het ontwerp Stitched Collection, designed voor Moroso door Tord Boontje. Het bestaat uit een stoel, een tafel en lampen.

Boontje: "For a long time, I have been interested in sewing and embroidery. When I was a child, my mother would show me how to sew and I made some clothes for myself (with her help). More recently I have used embroidery in my work on textiles and furniture. The action of sewing, creating holes in material with a needle comes back in pieces like the Rain Chair and Wednesday Table. This time I started to think in a more functional way about sewing, the idea of creating holes in materials and connecting pieces with yarns. I realized that by stitching plywood components together it would be possible to create strong structures for furniture. After making scale models, I started experimenting in my studio with a full size chair. This led to the prototype for the Stitched Chair.

I like the idea that the stitching is a very simple, low-tech way of making. As stitching is a very universal and ancient technique, it gives an almost tribal or folk character to the pieces. I imagined that someone could construct their whole environment in this method; the furniture and also the room itself, therefore we decided to start this as a small domestic collection that can expand in the future."








Geen opmerkingen: